With the silly season upon us it’s easy to overindulge in heavy Christmas food and drink, which can play havoc with digestion. What comes out the other end or doesn’t come out (if you know what I mean) can be a real party pooper.
When planning your gift list, put your gut at the top. To help you out, here are some ideas:
- Start the day with lemon juice in hot water 20 mins before breakfast.
- Vegetables (especially leafy greens), fruits, and wholegrains. Green smoothies are great.
- Fermented foods – kombucha, sauerkraut.
- Increase your water intake.
- Follow a heavy meal with peppermint, fennel, or ginger tea.
- Avoid overeating. ‘Hara hachi bu’ is a Japanese adage meaning eat until you are 80% full.
- Exercise regularly.
- Don’t “bottle it up”, go when you need too.
- Supplement with probiotics, and if needed a fibre supplement.
Your gut will repay you with the gift that keeps on giving…. good poop!